Ambit Magazine announces the launch of its 2015 Poetry and Fiction Competition. There’s no theme this year – just send us your best work on any subject, in any style. The poetry competition will be judged by Dan O’Brien, and the fiction competition judged by Alison Moore.
How to enter
Submissions can be made by our Submittable portal – visit the portal
For poetry each submission costs £5. With 6 UK or 8 overseas submissions, you’ll receive a free year’s subscription to Ambit Magazine
For short fiction each submission costs £7. With 4 UK or 6 overseas submissions you’ll receive a free year’s subscription to Ambit Magazine
The first place prize in each category will be £500, second place £250 and £100 for third.
The competition opens May 1st and closes July 15th. Winners will be announced on September 1st on the Ambit website.
The three winning poems and three winning stories will all be published in Issue 222 of Ambit, and the poets and writers will be invited to read with judges Dan O’Brien and Alison Moore at the launch on October 22nd 2015 in London.
Rules and regulations
- The entries must be the original work of the author. The competition is open to anyone, of any age of any nationality, aged 16 or over.
- Work must not have been previously published, either in print or online – this includes self-publishing and blogs.
- There is no minimum line requirement, but poems must not exceed 42 lines and short fiction must be under 1000 words.
- Please do not put your name, address, email or any identifying marks on the word document in which you enclose your work. These details must be in your cover letter only.
- All entries must be written in English. Translations into English are accepted and encouraged, but the work must be marked as ‘Translation’.
- No simultaneous submissions – any poems or fiction that become published after submitting to the competition will be disqualified.
- The winning entries will be announced online on September 1st 2015.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Guide to Postal Submissions
- Postal submissions must include a cheque made out to Ambit. If submitting from overseas please provide Visa or Mastercard details including expiry date and security code or pay via Paypal using email@example.com. We do not accept non- sterling cheques
- Work must come with a cover sheet, which will contain your name, postal address, telephone number and email address. If you do not have an email address, please include an SAE with UK stamps. As the judging will be done anonymously, absolutely no names or addresses should appear on the individual work
- The competition deadline is July 15th. Only submissions postmarked on or before that date will be accepted
- Send your postal submissions to: Ambit Competition, Staithe House, Main Road, Brancaster Staithe, Norfolk, PE31 8BP, UK